Greece duo call it a day


Liberopoulos and Chalkias slip into international retirement

Last Updated: June 23, 2012 4:37pm
Nikos Liberopoulos: Won 76 caps for his country during a 16-year international career
Nikos Liberopoulos: Won 76 caps for his country during a 16-year international career

Sky Bet

  • Claim your free bet now
Nikos Liberopoulos and Kostas Chalkias have announced their retirement from international football following Greece's elimination at Euro 2012.

Liberopoulos won his 76th cap during Friday's 4-2 quarter-final defeat to Germany.
He made his international debut in 1996 and was a regular in Greece's plans from that point on.
The 36-year-old was left out of their victorious Euro 2004 squad, but claims he will look back fondly on the time he has spent donning the colours of his country.
"I feel blessed that I get to close this chapter among a team that are like family to me," said Liberopoulos.
"It's a big honour for me. At the end of the match, I felt that I didn't want to leave the pitch. Now I will continue supporting this team as a fan."

Proud

Veteran goalkeeper Chalkias has decided that he no longer wishes to be considered for selection after winning 32 caps.
The 38-year-old made two appearances at Euro 2012 and claims he could not have wished for a better send-off, despite seeing his involvement cut short through injury.
"I am proud and happy to have participated in Greece's effort to reach the quarter-finals," he said.
"This has been one of the best months of my career.
"Right now I am very emotional and proud - it was a dream finish for my international career."


Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *
*
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 commentaires

 
© ComingSport
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top