Serena crashes out

Fifth seed falls at the first hurdle at Roland Garros

Last Updated: May 29, 2012 9:06pm

Sky Bet

  • Claim your free bet now
Serena Williams was sensationally dumped out of the French Open after losing her first round match to Virginie Razzano.
In a first career defeat in the opening round of a Grand Slam, the American was two points from victory before losing 4-6 7-6 6-3 to the French player.
Williams raced into a 5-1 lead in the second set tie-break but inexplicably lost the next six points as Razzano levelled the match.
The world number 111 required eight match points to close out the match in a 25-minute ninth game of a dramatic final set, eventually pulling through against the fifth seed.
Williams had made a fine start to the claycourt season, winning in Charleston and Madrid, although had to withdraw from her semi-final match in Rome 10 days ago with a back injury.
And the American was clearly troubled by something as she appeared to be in tears after failing to seal the second set, before slumping to a double-break down in the deciding set as Razzano served out for a 5-0 lead.
But the drama did not end there as Williams gathered herself to hit back to 3-5 before a game of epic proportions unfolded on Philippe Chatrier Court.

Survival

Fighting for her survival, Williams saved seven match points and even had five break points to get back on serve before hitting long on Razzano's eighth match point, ending a match lasting just over three hours.
"I had to dig deep against a great champion and you could see until the end that she gave away nothing," said Razzano, who was twice penalised for 'hindrance' after crying out in pain during points as she laboured with a leg injury.
"I had to go and get the victory. I had to be mentally strong, and I gave my everything.
"I didn't think too much. I know I have unlimited resources. I dug very deep and I knew nothing was lost, even when I had cramps (in the last game), even when I was not feeling well.
"It's the most beautiful victory in my career.
Williams could afford to be philosphical about the defeat as she missed last year's event with life-threatening blood clots in her lungs.
"I'm disappointed, but that's life, things could be worse," she said. "I've been through so much in my life. I'm not sitting here happy. I've gotta figure out what I did wrong and not do it again. I fought until the end."
Razzano will next face Dutchwoman Arantxa Rus for a place in the last 32.
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 commentaires

:) :-) :)) =)) :( :-( :(( :d :-d @-) :p :o :>) (o) [-( :-? (p) :-s (m) 8-) :-t :-b b-( :-# =p~ :-$ (b) (f) x-) (k) (h) (c) cheer

 
© ComingSport
Designed by BlogThietKe Cooperated with Duy Pham
Released under Creative Commons 3.0 CC BY-NC 3.0
Posts RSSComments RSS
Back to top